Friday, March 6, 2009

Are You Gellin?

A genius ploy by a marketer has allowed many to recognize "gellin" as a description of comfortable shoes. It has even been equated with a better functioning individual by many of the commercials created for these products. There are many companies (which I will not name here) that have profited on our need to be comfortable, our need to continue to walk, our need to exercise or just be active. Activity has continued to be based on our ability to be comforable in a shoe. We are all spending good money on these products hoping they will work, but do they?

Before we can differentiate the different products available or decide what will help my feet or even your feet stop hurting, it is important to ask some key questions with the understanding that pain is NEVER normal.

- Why do my feet hurt?
- Is there a problem that can be addressed?
- Is it a problem of padding? (Gel or foam insoles or pads will help)
- Do I have foot deformities that cause pain? (What will address the deformity?)
- Is the way I walk a reason for my pain?
- Is this problem similar to what my parents, siblings or children have?

As we think about these questions, we can start to determine what is the best option for alleviating your pain, while ensuring you pay only for products that will address the reasons for your pain. Over the next while I plan to address each of these individual issues.
Dr Brandt R Gibson, DPM
Mountain West Foot & Ankle Institute
36 North 1100 East, Suite B
American Fork, UT 84003
(801)756-0765
www.UtahFootDoc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment